Friday, December 12, 2008

Not an Expected Day


Yesterday, I decided that I was going to do it! I was going to tackle the closet in the office. This was the closet that I stuffed all of the boxes that I didn't want to unpack in over three years ago when we moved in. In the meantime, a friend of ours from Alabama was going to drive up and meet with Brock. Plus, he was going to work on a project in the shop as well. Somewhere during the day, we were going to run. That night, we were going to go on a date.

Well, the guy couldn't drive up from AL because it was flooding down there. It rained the entire day eliminating the option of running and working outside. So, we both ended up cleaning out the closet. This proved to be a much bigger project than I anticipated. It took hours instead of minutes, plus, I couldn't have done it without Brock's help.

It ended up being fun because we found all sorts of keepsakes. We found pictures of both of us as children. We found our wedding video. Also, there were several things from the beginning of our ministry. It gave me that nostalgic feeling where you feel warm and grateful with a tinge of sadness for days gone by all at the same time.

Then, after we were finally done, Brock went outside to take something to the shop. We discovered that it was snowing hard. We bundled up and headed out for our date as planned. Since we have a 4 wheel drive, a little snow cannot stop us. However, on our way out, some kind of cable was laying over our driveway. We couldn't clear it. So, we turned around and went back inside. I didn't have much food in the fridge, so we had to resort to the pantry and freezer. Brock ate some butternut squash soup and a hamburger patty that he'd grilled and I froze. I had grits, scrambled eggs, and turkey bacon all mixed up in one bowl.

Anyway, Brock kept the fire going and we had a great evening at home. This wasn't the day that I intended, but it was even better. At around 11pm when we were ready to call it a night, the electricity went out. I made a pallet on the floor while Brock collected enough wood off of the porch to last us through the night. We kept the fire going. I fully expected to wake up cold, but I never did. The power came back on sometime during the night, and we slept all night long warm and cozy by the fire.

4 comments:

AUNY said...

It wasn't a power line down. It was either telephone or cable. They are supposed to come here and fix it this morning.

Haley said...

What a fun wintery day! Glad you guys made the most of it.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like the perfect evening!! Cherish those!

Rhonda

Anonymous said...

As my 13 year old would say..."You guys had a "Hallmark" moment!" That's really nice.

And thanks for your help...my 4 copies of Stephanie's book arrived today! I'm also really excited as Winter Jam 2009 is coming to Jacksonville in Feb. We're hoping to go and see Stephanie perform!

Thanks again! Have a great day!