Thursday, January 01, 2009

Little by Little

I used to make so many New Year's Resolutions when I was a teenager. I never kept them. There were too many to remember much less do. Most of it had to do with exercising. However, if you make too many or they are too optimistic for you, you won't succeed and you'll be discouraged.

Last year around this time, I heard a preacher speak about little by little. He said that you should have a long term goal, and by doing a little at a time, you can reach it. I've really seen evidence of this with my running. The marathon is a massive goal. When you think about running 26.2 miles, you think that it's impossible. The more I train, the more attainable it sounds. A couple of weeks ago, I ran over 10 miles. I didn't think that was possible a month ago.

My other goal for this year is to go to Hawaii for our tenth wedding anniversary. This is a huge goal because it will be the last state in all of the 50 states that we have been to. This was a goal that I set when I was in about 5th grade. This is another little by little thing. We started out just going to TX and the surrounding states. Then, we went to the midwest and the east coast. Then, well, you get the idea. I have 2 goals this year, but they are BIG ones. I've been working on the marathon for several months now. The states thing I've been working on for the last 10 years. Do you have any New Year's Resolutions?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey. I went to youth encounter last year, wait this is 09 now..so i guess i went to youth encounter 2 years ago and last year. Hah. Anyway you guys do a great job. My resoultion was to run more. Actually. but now that i have read your blog..Well that has pretty much motivated me now. Thanks - Sarahbeth T. age 13

AUNY said...

That's great, Sarahbeth. It's hard to run right now because it's so cold. It's worth it though.

Unknown said...

It is pretty great. But you are right it is pretty flipping cold. hah. Anyway thanks for replying back. People rarely do that. Its thoughtful when they do. So thanks! Tell happy b-day to brock again for me. ( i already told him on his blog) Bye! ~ Sarahbeth