Friday, April 08, 2005

Mary and Taxes

Today was the dreaded day to get our taxes done. I would've waited until the very last minute, but we are going to be out of town next week. Ministers' taxes are difficult as it is. When your ministry is not affiliated with a church, taxes are almost impossible!

Mary was the lady's name who took care of us. While we waited with Mary for another worker to answer some of our extraordinary questions concerning our taxes, we had an interesting conversation. Mary is a buddhist. After she told us this, I became nervous and immediately began praying about what to say. I felt as if the Lord was saying to listen. Brock asked her lots of questions about her beliefs. She answered and we listened. Right there in the H&R Block we discussed Jesus and reincarnation.

In situations like this, I get anxious because I feel as if the person must give her/his life to Christ before I leave his/her company. In our small group at church, we studied from a book called "Finding Common Ground" by Tim Downes. I learned that you don't always need to seal the deal. Sometimes, we just need to shut up and listen. This was the case today. However, my work is not done. I will be praying that someday Mary will be ready to hear and receive the good news of Jesus Christ.

0 comments: