Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Run! Run! Run!

The other day, I was at Jupiter Project's office working on our new DVD. There office is a house in an older part of town. This area is improving but still is rather rough. I needed a diet coke, so I walked to the corner store that was just a few yards from the office. On my way back, a car drove by with its music blaring. The driver honked at me. Picking up the pace, I ignored him and continued back to the house. I retrieved my cell phone and pretended to be talking with someone. Sometimes, I feel that if you are confident, perpetrators will leave you alone.

Then, I heard tires screeching and the music get louder and louder. The guy had backed up and almost driven on the sidewalk where I was walking. I caught a glimpse of him as he waved me to come over. He was a big, cut, black guy who looked as if he could have scooped me up with one hand. I took off! I didn't just run; I sprinted as if I was approaching the finish line in a race and wanted to pass that one guy that I'd been following the entire race. The verse that I posted Sunday came to mind..."Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings." Psalm 17:8. I recited it over and over until I reached the office safely and shut the door.

Lesson #1: Ladies, don't be afraid to run. I didn't see a gun, but if I had my actions would not have differed. Do whatever you can to not get in the car with anyone.

Lesson #2: Just because it's daylight does not mean that someone cannot grab you. Always be aware of your surroundings. Avoid bad areas of town no matter what time of day it is.

Lesson #3: Pray for the Lord's protection. If you have the Lord on your side, your chances of survival are greater. If I ever actually get taken against my will, I plan to sing praise songs to the Lord. That just might scare the snot out of the guy!

0 comments: