Saturday, March 26, 2005

Birds and Clocks

With spring comes the beautiful flowers and birds chirping. There is this one beautiful red bird, a cardinal I think, that was here last fall. He's back and this time he brought a friend! I know him because he rams right into my bedroom window daily. Now, there are two of them taking turns pounding on my window. This morning, it was early, early, like before light when I first was woken by the stupid birds. After about the fourth time, I opened the window. Later, I hear a different kind of thumping. It had flown into my room. I've seen birds in huge buildings before and they just sorta stay up near the ceiling, but in a small room, this bird was going crazy! I didn't know what to do. Brock would usually handle a situation like this, but he is in LA on business right now. So, I just sat there afraid to move worried that I would startle the bird more. The bird bolted to all four corners of the room in a split second. It hit one of the other windows and fell to the ground feathers scattering everywhere. I crawled out of bed and over where I could see if the bird was dead. It was just standing there on my bedroom floor looking at the open window. I thought that maybe I should shew it that direction, and then, in an instant, it flew back out of the window in which it came. The whole ordeal only lasted a minute or so but I was definately awake.

I have no idea what time it was because today is the day that I am going to avoid clocks. Remember the experiment of not acknowledging time all day that I talked about last week in the Niagra Falls post? Well, today is the day. I turned off all of the clocks in my house last night. I'll let you know how it goes.

I enjoyed my timeless day at first. It was nice to eat when I got hungry and do whatever I wanted all day. Of course, I chose the easiest day ever. Brock is gone and it's a Saturday, so I have no real obligations. However, I caught a glimpse of the time a couple of times. There are clocks everywhere.

It felt freeing to experience a day not based on time, but I'm ready to know the time. I realized that occasionally, I actually like knowing the time of day. It's not just about a schedule, but it determines leisure time as well. Some friends invited me to hang out with them tonight, but I couldn't meet them because of the time thing.

At least I did it. Now, when I start feeling stressed about time, I'll remember this day and how I threw time out the window and it was just okay.

0 comments: