Thursday, March 24, 2005

TV: Evil or Informative?

I did it. I got cable. This is the first time Brock and I have had cable since we've been together. One week I was sick, so I spent much time watching TV. I had a dream one night that I was investigating a murder at a singing audition. When I realized this was some kind of cross between CSI and American Idol, I thought that their could be a chance that I had watched just a little too much TV.

I've always heard that TV is not good for you. I read that watching a sitcom actually makes you dumber. However, with all of the news channels, discovery channels, and the learning channel, it seems that you can learn some things by watching TV. Also, I recently read that they have found that children that watch TV are more informed and quicker than children that do not watch TV. I had a friend that grew up without a television in her house. She is a really nice girl, but she missed some things without TV to inform her. Most of it was social learning. For example, she does not get sarcasm. She is behind the times as well.

There are many who do not allow their children to watch television. Madonnah is among these. I can see how several hours of television a day is probably not a good idea. Too much of anything is not a good idea. Then, it becomes obsessive.

Some people do not like to watch television because it is getting so immoral. This is true. It's getting worse and worse. I just try not to watch shows with inappropriate content. If you have children, I could see where it would be difficult to shield your child from the perversions of the world dictated on your prime time sitcoms.

Does anyone have any suggestions? What do you think about TV? Send your comments to me aunygill@yahoo.com. I may post some of the comments and suggestions next Wednesday.

0 comments: