Saturday, March 19, 2005

Carjacked!

Today, we leave to present a show in Newnan, GA. It is about a six hour drive and we loose an hour due to the time change. When we arrive, we will load out all of the equipment, set up the stage, perform the show, tear down the equipment, load out all of the equipment and load it back into the trailer. Hopefully, we will eat dinner and get to our hotel at a decent time. It is a very tiresome day. I know, I've done it so many times before.

We now have a new road manager, Duane. He will be a huge help once he learns the ropes. He's only been with us for a few weeks, but I think he is getting the idea of what it is like for us on the road. The above itinerary occurs only when everything goes smoothly. We have things go wrong OFTEN.

One of Duane's first trips out with us, we almost got carjacked, robbed, or something. We stopped at a truck stop in Alabama (we drive a big freightliner with an rv conversion and a 36 ft. trailer). I had just awaken from a nap and decided to go into the store. When I walked out, I saw Brock pull the truck up and then start driving away. I started walking quickly, then running, and finally sprinting toward the truck. I was about to be left without a phone somewhere in Alabama! I caught up to the passengers' side just enough to bang my hand once against the door. Brock paused briefly, I climbed in, and he took off.

I then learned that not only did Brock think that I was still sleeping in the back, but he also believed that he was a target of foul play. A guy had come up banging on Brock's window on the driver's side. He wanted Brock to leave his truck right then to come and see this guy who had just won the lottery. He was so urgent in his delivery that Brock was suspicious and didn't get out of the truck. The guy continued to follow after Brock as long as he could run alongside the truck which was basically until we got completely out of the parking lot (the freightliner is not exactly a race car).

Brock has the gift of discernment and he was discerning that something was not right. He figured that this guy was either going to get him away from the truck so that he could get him back behind other trucks and rob him or someone could take the truck, or maybe he saw me go in and wanted to get Brock away from the truck so that I was alone. Either way, Brock was correct in that something wasn't right because we found out that the state of Alabama doesn't even have a lottery.

0 comments: