Sunday, March 27, 2005

A Girl Named Hilton

This morning, I attended the Easter service alone because Brock was still out of town. Some of my friends invited me to come with them to a different service, but I decided to go alone today. I desired to sit in the back and just drink it in.

When I finally found a vacant seat, it was on the very back row of the balcony. I noticed a young girl near my seat sitting alone with her feet propped on the seat in front of her. As we were standing singing praises to the Lord, she read a book.

During the time that we shook the hands of members as well as visitors, I went straight to this girl. I tapped her and she raised her head out of the book. She dressed goth, but her eyes were soft. She was not as hard as her persona would imply. I introduced myself. She smiled and said her name.

When I returned to my seat, I realized that I forgot to listen when she told me her name. The Lord really wanted me to pray for her, but I could not remember her name! I also felt like the Lord was compelling me to tell her that I was praying for her. I scratched my name and number on a piece of paper to give her at the close of the service.

However, when our pastor began to speak, she got up and walked out. "Go after her," were the words I felt like the Lord was saying to me. I followed her out of the auditorium and out to the hallway.

"Excuse me," I said feeling like a dork. "What was your name again?" "Hilton," she replied. I asked her if she attended this church regularly. She shyly said no but her parents brought her today. I told her that the Lord wanted me to pray for her and to give me a call if she ever wanted me to pray about anything specifically. After I handed her the piece of paper containing my name and number, I returned to the service.

I felt so radiant! I don't know why I needed to tell her that I was praying for her. Maybe her parents were praying for someone to do just what I did. She might have needed someone from the church to show her that they cared about her. I don't know if she will ever call me, but it doesn't matter. I was obedient to the Lord.

This is what Easter is all about. He is alive!!! He was alive in our church service today and He is alive in me!

1 comments:

go to www.chadjarnagin.com said...

That rocks girl. All we can be is obedient....you were.

Peace-
CHADJ

www.chadjarnagin.com