Thursday, March 17, 2005

Medicine or Natural Remedies

I cannot shake these sinus problems. At least, I'm not down for the count as I was before. Now, I just sneeze every now and then causing only short interruptions in my day. Brock was also sick for a while. He's a lot better now as well. Yesterday, he complained about his throat only once.

It seems that everyone is sick at the present time. It's probably due to the weather. Last Saturday was one of those nice days in the 70's here. Today, I woke up to snow on the ground. I don't know too much about sickness and the cause of it. I only studied in psychology (my major in college) that their is an actual, physical virus that you catch, but it only causes 20% of your illness. The other 80% is in your head. Therefore, I always try to sway my brain the other direction. I tell it, "You are not sick! You are just tired. Rest today, and you will be just fine in the morning." You'd be surprised. Nine times out of ten, it works!

Everybody has their own way of dealing with sickness. Brock studies the foods that help fight off certain illnesses. He tells me to eat strawberries and grapes to boost my immune system. My friend, Jennifer, has these pills that are some kind of home remedy. You take these pills and it allows your body to take care of the pain or disease. If I simply fall off of my skateboard, she hands me this little, white pill to help diminish the bruising. She says that it works.

I felt a sinus infection creeping up last week. Infections are difficult to reason with. They grab on and will not let go until you feed it antibiotics. In order to get the antibiotics, you have to go to the doctor and all of that stuff. I'm not a big fan, so I do whatever it takes to up my immune system. Sometimes, I take the vitamin echinacea. It seems to help me when it comes to sinus infections. However, on the bottle, it warns not to take it more than 6 weeks in a row. What happens after 6 weeks? Would I turn blue? Would I blow up? (Maybe this is what causes spontaneous combustion.) Therefore, I am a little leery of taking this vitamin.

I try the echinacea anyway. In fact, I try all of the treatments mentioned above excluding seeing a doctor. That is a last resort. I figure it wouldn't hurt to eat fruit, take some little pills, take echinacea (as long as it's not for more than 6 weeks), or try tricking my brain into thinking that it is not sick. What do you do when you are sick? Do you think any of these remedies are bogus? What do you think happens after taking echinacea for 6 weeks?

E-mail me at aunygill@yahoo.com with your thoughts. I will post some if not all of them anonymously next wednesday on this site.

8 comments:

AUNY said...

please give me your comments

Gin said...

OK, I don't share this info with just anyone...namely because most people just look at me with a disconcerting mixture of feigned awe and genuine disgust. It seems a lot of people think those of us who are into natural medicine are frieks, weirdos, crazy nature-loving-activist hippies, or just nuts in general.

However, since you asked, I will give you this gift that has changed my life. I take a product called "Juice Plus." It is not a diet pill. It is not a vitamin. It is not even taxable in Texas and various other states because it is considered "whole food."

You see, Brock has it right when he encourages you to eat fresh, raw fruits to boost your immune system. Think about it: when God placed Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, what did he surround them with? That's right, fruits and vegetables. It was man who decided the way to health and happiness was to extract one enzyme from the apple (which is naturally filled with thousands of other enzymes equally good for you and not yet named), only to clumsily pair it with other "extracts" cruelly separated from the fruit or vegetable God housed them in and market the resulting product as "complete."

Another problem is, the raw stuff we get from the grocery these days was picked before it ripened, travels long distances before it gets to us, and is usually subjected to some kind of gas or chemical injection to make it look pretty for the supermarket shelf.

Juice Plus grows its own organic fruits and veggies (seventeen of them to be exact), harvests them when they are at the peak nutritional level, juices them, tests them multiple times for stray chemicals, pesticides and other nasty stuff, dehydrates them, and puts them into capsule form, sans the starch and sugar. Whew! Are you reeling yet? Or looking at your computer screen with feigned awe and genuine disgust? Stay with me.

Juice Plus is creating quite a stir in the "nutriceutical" market. It has been tested more than any product of its kind (which is kind of a misnomer, since there is nothing else of its kind). The findings are published in academic, peer-reviewed medical journals (something other products can't begin to claim). It has been shown to lower homocysteine levels (elevated homocysteine is associated with EVERY disease known to man). It has been shown to raise antioxidant levels in the blood, and lower the amount of free radicals in the blood stream. In point of fact, there's not enough room on your site to detail all the findings.

So I'll tell you what it has done for me. A year ago, I was diagnosed with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). Yeah, kind of yucky. My doctor prescribed medication to control the symptoms. As I feel the way you do about doctors and western medicine, I started searching for an alternative. I have found it in Juice Plus. Since starting the product, I have gradually improved to the point that I have NO symptoms EVER. I don't take the pill prescribed by the doctor, and I am totally fine. I no longer get bladder infections (which used to happen every couple weeks), I no longer battle depression and irritablity, I have even been able to focus at work and am generally a nicer person.

Now, Juice Plus makes no claims about curing any disease. They simply say, "Here's what it is, and here's what researchers are saying about it." But I KNOW what it has done for me. The science is solid. The logic is there. God created fruits and vegetables to heal our bodies and protect us from all kinds of ailments. Now we can get them in capsule form. Of course, Juice Plus reccomends you still eat a diet full of fresh, raw fruits and veggies, and a funny thing has happened since I started taking it...I CRAVE those things more than I crave sugar and fat.

I know you've battled sinus infections. My diagnosis? Your immune system is lower than it should be. Simply put, JP supports your immune system and enables YOUR body to fight disease the way it was designed to do. Maybe you think I'm a nut, but I have a STRONG inkling JP would gradually rid you of those pesky things...and SOOOOOO much more. It is prevention in a bottle, and I love it, and I hope you'll give it a try. Oh, by the way, I know about 50 people who feel the same way about it and have stories like mine too numerous to tell.

AUNY said...

so, where do you get the juice plus? you've convinced me.

Gin said...

You can order it from my friend's website if you want to sign up to get it wholesale and delivered automatically. If you want to get it one box or one month at a time, you can go to www.juiceplus.com and find a distributor near you.

Exciting, huh?

Gin said...

I'll have to check with my distributor to get her website for you.

Gin said...

OK, Auny...Valerie's site is www.doctorjuice.com. I spoke with her today and she said she would be happy to send you some extra info in the mail as well.

Anonymous said...

With all due respect, Juice Plus is a multilevel marketing (aka pyramid) scam that has been throroughly trashed by various health and nutrition experts. It saddens me to see that some naive people are still pushing this garbage.

Anonymous said...

Homeopathic medicine really is a normal form of therapeutic!
[url=http://www.homeopathicdoctors.org/]homeopathic products[/url]