Sunday, March 20, 2005

Show in Georgia

The show in Georgia this weekend did not go very smoothly (go to www.brockgill.com to learn more about the shows we do). First of all, the stage was half the size of what we really need to do this particular show. The guys that were helping us tried to compensate by adding sheets of plywood laying over some cinder blocks. It worked until we neared the end of the show, and we could not get our props backstage. The props would not roll over the makeshift stage. Illusions were falling down, Brock was chunking things off of the stage in order to clear some room, and there was a dead time while we tried to deal with the props. Brock apologized for all of the noise as he let the crowd know that we had a few problems. Later, one of the promotors said that he didn't hear anything. I think this guy was just being nice because one of our friends that came with us this trip said that it was rather loud.

There were other setbacks. One of the light trees kept throwing a breaker, so four times during the show, half of the lights went out. I actually sneezed in one of the illusions. To my knowledge, this was the first time. I think that I normally, subconsciously, hold it in until I get backstage. This time, I was in a barrel, so I guess I thought that I was hidden. Nobody really noticed except Brock and the volunteers onstage. We had to scratch one of the illusions because we didn't have a sketch pad. You wouldn't think that a sketch pad could make or break a trick, but in this case it does. I realized that the sketch pad was missing right before we were to do this illusion. In a split second, I had to debate on trying to find something else to replace it that would function as a sketch pad or go on to the next trick. I opted for the latter. If I had more time, I might have been able to think of an alternative. These are the calls that I have to make, because Brock is onstage and cannot think about anything except the trick that he is doing right at that moment which takes a lot of concentration. He relies on me to think ahead.

Despite all of the difficulty, the Lord still used us. Twenty-eight people gave their lives to Christ (something that I never tire of seeing). The people thouroughly enjoyed the show, and the promotors and helpers were so loving. One of the guys that helped us load our equipment into the building, Josh, was the strongest guy that I had ever met. He put cases on the stage with little effort that normally take two to four strong men to lift. He would do anything we needed. Also, their was a little 5 year old girl named Taylor. As I was packing up everything, she just followed me. At first, I talked with her a little. Then, I had to continue working and I noticed a little shadow. She didn't talk, she just watched me. It was rather sweet and somehow comforting having her by my side as I worked. You never know who is watching you do life.

0 comments: