Monday, August 07, 2006

Sea Lions

We were sitting in a restaurant at Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey and from our window seat, we could see lots of sea lions swimming around near us. One of them actually went onto the beach and went to sleep. The waitress who looked out that window very often said she had never seen one do that.

After we ate, we hurried over to see this sea lion up close. I took a lot of pictures of him and was able to get very close. Then, we made a video with Brock sitting on a rock beside the sea lion. I wasn't able to zoom in with my camera, so I got very close and the animal woke up and lunged at me yelling in some sort of sea lion fashion. He was probably saying, "Leave me alone! I'm trying to take a nap here!"

Then, he sorta warmed up to us. He acted as if he was posing for the camera when Brock was videoing it. Brock would say, "You are a supermodel...go! That's it...that's your best side." Just when he said that the sea lion would cock his head almost like posing...it was hilarious!

4 comments:

Matt said...

now that's classic.

Anonymous said...

I want to see that video! Pam

Anonymous said...

How big is a sea lion?

AUNY said...

It wasn't that big. It probably came up to my waist when it sorta stood up. However, it's all blubbery, so I don't know how strong it is. The waitress said that they can be aggressive. If he would have hit me with his flapper, it would have left a mark!