Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Avoiding Burnout

Well, I avoided burnout. Two weekends ago, I began to get sick to my stomach everyday. That lasted for 4 or 5 days. I was beginning to think that my ulcer was back. However, it went away by about Wednesday of last week. Then, I told you about how much I slept last weekend.

I was talking it over with one of my friends who is a mother of 4 and runs the woman's ministry at her church. I told her that I was the only follow through person around. Therefore, I have to make sure that every detail gets done in our ministry and life. I'm Brock's personal assistant in life and our ministry. I plan and execute Parties with a Purpose as well as chocolate tastings. Brock is visionary. I see his visions to completion. However, as a mother, she had to know what that was like...taking care of the details for the people in her life. I told her that I felt like getting away for a few days by myself. She said that she feels that way sometimes, but she doesn't burnout every year like I do.

We decided that it had to be the shows. With live show comes so much pressure. Plus, it's draining emotionally, spiritually, as well as physically. This was the same time of year that I burnt out last year. We think that maybe the summer is still catching up to me. This year, we've had a lighter schedule after the summer than we usually have. I think that's why I was able to beat this burnout before it took control. Plus, Brock is learning the warning signs of when I'm about to burnout, and he's helping me get through it.

We are going to Vegas tomorrow because Brock is going to a magic seminar. Therefore, I'm going to go to the pool and see a couple of shows while he's in the seminar. It's going to be perfect! It's going to be like a vacation by myself, but I'll have Brock there at night. By the end of this break, after having tons of time to myself, and after getting so much sleep last weekend, I think that I should be good as new!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

That sounds like my kind of vacation...days to myself and nights with my husband!!!

Chad and Rebecca said...

I can easily understand how you can get burned out. That is a lot of pressure that you take on! It is so great that you have such an understanding husband!

Anonymous said...

Hey Auny,

Isn't Chris Angel working with Circus Ole' (spelling?) in Vegas? I did get to see Circus Ole' in Orlando and it was awesome. Maybe you guys can catch a show and let me know what its like "Vegas" style!

Take care of yourself! Hope to see you guys again real soon!

Teresa (in GA)

Barbara said...

i think this is great. enjoy your vacations!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all you do!

Anonymous said...

yall need a lil brock jr.