Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

We spent yesterday cooking and cleaning. I made something called a pumpkin crisp. It's basically pumpkin pie turned upside down. I also made buttermilk pies. I call them Texas pies here because people who have never heard of buttermilk pie won't try it just because of the name. They say, "I don't like buttermilk." In which I respond, "Nobody likes buttermilk. Just try it." Then, they love it! When these two items came out of the oven, we could not resist trying them out. They were all warm and smelled so good!

Today, I am making dressing, bean bundles, gravy, macaroni and cheese, and bread. People that come today are bringing more sides and desserts. There is no telling how much food we will have!

Many of our friends come from broken homes. None of our friends have families that live here. Therefore, many are stuck here for Thanksgiving. We started the tradition last year to have everyone over here for the weekend. People come and go all weekend long. It's a wonderful time. I think that we will have a dozen or so for lunch today. Then, more are coming tomorrow. I will keep you updated.

What are your plans for Thanksgiving?

5 comments:

Barbara said...

this sound terrific!
You don't have idea of how much you made me desire a pie... i want a pumpkin piee!! mmmm... and it's not very common in mexico...
i'll find some... somewhere...

have a very very happy thanksgiving day!
hope i can share with you this day sometime.

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving....and what are "bean bundles?" I've never heard them.

AUNY said...

They are french style green beans wrapped in bacon and covered with brown sugar.

Anonymous said...

I make buttermilk pie, but it is from Kentucky. The first time I had it I was not told the name and it was the most amazing pie I ever had so I got the recipe. If you ever get a chance to taste one you should. I only make them when I know there will be plenty of people to share with because it is so rich.

Rhonda

Chip said...

I haven't heard them called bean bundles, but my-oh-my they are delicious!
Amanda