Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Pressure of the Olympic Competitions

I cannot imagine the pressure that the athletes in the Olympics are under. They practice and train for hours daily for years for this one event. When it comes to swimming or the running, it's such a short time of competition. Did you see that guy last night break the world record for the 200m run? That was less than 20 seconds of his life, but it was the most important 20 seconds. In the last Olympics, there was a girl who was running the marathon and doing well (maybe 2nd place or something), yet 3 miles before the finish line, she just had a breakdown. She couldn't handle it.

We have other friends who are in competitions like Kevin Johnson, motocross rider who won a gold at the X Games. He races almost every weekend, and he knows that his livelihood all depends on if he wins races. That's a lot of pressure.

You've heard me talk about the pressures of live performances before...how 30 minutes onstage is equivalent to an 8 hour work day when it comes to stress and physical pressure. (That means that we worked overtime last week doing 10 shows in 4 days). However, I feel like it's nothing compared to the pressure of these athletes. It's cool that they are the best in the world, but I don't think that I could do it even if I was the best in the world at something. It's just too much pressure!

2 comments:

Britany said...

I never thought of it this way!

Anonymous said...

I thought about the pressure they feel the other day...when I saw the girl drop out of the race. I heard a commentator say later she'd had a stomach virus. It has to be discouraging to train hard for all those years and to have it all taken away in seconds.

Made me think of Paul when he said to press on toward the mark and keep running the race in this life and then the verse that tells us life is like a "vapor."

It's cool how the bible and the things we do in this life intertwine.

Remember all of us here in South GA and North FL and "Faye" arrives and we are expecting loads of rain 2-8 inches over the next day or so.

Thanks ;)