Friday, September 02, 2005

Back in the Sticks

It's so peaceful where we live. We can observe nature from our windows or by taking a walk down our driveway. We counted 16 wild turkeys in our backyard the other day. Also, a deer went bounding over the steep hill in the back of our house.

As I went to get the mail, I saw a turtle in the road. It was about halfway into the right lane. I looked at its perfect shell and features. I could not bare to see it squashed by the next vehicle coming around the corner oblivious to its existance. So, I brushed it off of the road just as an SUV came barreling through the lane. Brock later went down and let me know that it was a land turtle. He said that you usually find them in the woods. Therefore, we took the little guy to our woods toward the rear of our property.

Yesterday, as I was mowing the lawn, a little brown and light blue butterfly followed me around the whole time. It was beautiful! I thought that it was strange that it got so close at times. They usually seem to be shy especially when there is a loud machine involved. Then, Brock and I sat on the front porch talking and the same butterfly came and landed on my leg. Brock would chase it away on accident, and a few minutes later, it would return to me. It probably sat on my leg for about thirty minutes.

There are some critters that I do not enjoy. Ever since we have returned from the summer, we've heard loud bugs called cicadas...they are LOUD! We also both got stung by a wasp the other day. Brock tried getting into our shop and was stung before he could even open the door. The wasp was just waiting by the only accessible entryway to our shop. I decided that if I run, maybe it wouldn't get me...WRONG! I did get the door open though.

1 comments:

AUNY said...

Cicadas are ugly bugs that only come around once every seven years or something like that, and they are LOUD. I think they only come around Georgia and Tennessee and that area, but I'm not sure.