Monday, September 05, 2005

My Part in Hurricane Katrina Relief Efforts

This weekend has been so fun, yet it's bittersweet. As I'm enjoying my time off spending time with Brock and at home, hundreds of thousands of people are homeless, jobless, hopeless. I feel guilty when I lay my head down on my pillow in my own bed at night. It's difficult to go on with life as usual.

Finally, I decided to do something about it. As I was on my church website giving money to the hurricane victims, I noticed that they had other ways I could contribute to the Hurricane Katrina Relief Effort. Therefore, I am going to give some supplies to a local church that is going to deliver them to the ones who are in need. I will be giving blood to the Red Cross as well. Also, I signed up to have some evacuees stay at our home. I hope that a family takes us up on the offer!

By the way, everyone keeps asking us if Brock's parents are okay. They live on the west side of south Louisiana, so they were not affected directly by the hurricane. Indirectly, I guess we are all affected. Tell me some of your stories concerning the aftermath of Katrina. If you are looking for a way to contribute to the hurricane victims, go to your local church websites, or you can give money online at my church's website www.thepeopleschurch.org/katrina. Of course, you could always go to www.redcross.org as well.

1 comments:

Amber said...

Hey Auny,
I don't feel like I am able to help all that much being a stay at home mom, except pray and give financially. On the other hand I am very proud of my Dad, who as I write this is on his way in a truck filled with supplies to Slidell, LA. to help begin putting houses and life's back together. He had a two week vacation planned with good friends, that he has been dreaming about since he was a little boy. He said the Lord just wouldn't let him go enjoy himself and spend his money on his own pleasure, when there were so many without. So he took his time off and his vacation money and headed to LA. to help those in need! Needless to say, I have never been more proud of my Dad!!!