Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Holly Beach Missionaries

Brock knows this couple that had a Christian resort in Holly Beach, LA. I say "had" because it's not there anymore. Holly Beach is gone. The only thing left standing is a water tower. On the news, it looks like a water tower in the ocean because the town is now ocean after Rita came thru. They depended on financial support to keep the retreat center afloat. They only had flood insurance on one little building on the whole property. Brock's parents church had just gone down there the month before to renovate the place. Now, it's gone.

The couple packed as much as they could into a trailer and went to some people's house in DeRidder, LA hoping to escape the worst of the storm. A tree ended up falling into the house where they were staying and landing just inches from their bed. They almost died. Then, a tree landed on the trailer they had brought and crushed everything. Basically, they lost everything but their lives!

This is just one of the thousands of stories of the destruction of Hurricane Rita. I didn't sleep very well last night. I thought about my parents trying to sleep in their hot house with no water. I dreamed that looters tried to get into the house because they have the windows up. It was 97 degrees yesterday where my parents live. A government helicopter delivered the town some food and water yesterday. They are saying that it will probably take a few weeks to get power back because the whole East Texas grid is down. Please, pray for all of these people effected by the aftermath of Rita. The media is downplaying the effect the hurricane had on west Louisiana and east Texas because it didn't hit Houston. It only hit small towns. Small towns are suffering right now. They don't have the resources that the larger ones do. Shepherd, TX where my parents live doesn't even have a mayor. Please remember the longterm effects that this is going to have on these little towns.

1 comments:

Amber said...

I'll remember, and I'll pray. That's the least I can do! I wish I could do more.