Sunday, July 08, 2007

A Girl Named Barbara

We are in Texas! Since we went to college in Texas and even lived near Houston for a while, we were able to see some old friends. We saw a guy from college that I haven't seen in years! Today, we are about to see the first person I met at college, Tiger.

However, my attention was mostly on a person that I just met yesterday evening. As Shannon and I were working on something out in the entryway, a cute girl shyly walked up. She looked familiar, but I didn't know who at first. Then, she began to talk with a thick, Spanish accent. It was Barbara! You may have seen her comment on our blogs every now and then.

Barbara lives in Mexico. She had taken a 24 hour bus ride to Dallas and was staying with her aunt. Then, she took a 6 hour bus ride from Dallas to Houston and then took a cab to our show. When she got to us, she told us that she was very nervous. She's never gone to an unfamiliar city by herself before. She came all that way to see our show. She sat on the front row with a big smile.

She saw us on the Discovery Channel and then began reading our blogs. Her English is rather good. At dinner, when Brock asked her how she learned English, she said that it was from reading his blog! She would look up the words that she didn't know and learn that way. She warms my heart so much.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, That's sooo cool!!

She mention to me she was planing to see you guys.

Man, She traveled all that way to see you and brock. What dedication and persistant.

Cant wait to see you guys someday!!!

1

Michawn said...

Wow, that's so great you finally met her. And wow, that's so scary that she learned English from Brock! :) Mr. Heron would be proud.

Amber said...

What an AWESOME story!!! I've always loved reading Barbara's comments! It must have been REALLY neat to finally get to meet her!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited that you guys met Barbara. I read her comments all the time and knew she was planning to see you. That's awesome! I would love to meet her one day.

But Brock an English teacher???? Wooooooow! Yep, I also knew he would make Mr. Heron proud one day. : )

Anonymous said...

That's too cool! What a blessing!

We met at SuperWow Jekyll 2006 when you and Brock lead a devotion at our house. Today our Youth Team had a meeting about next years SuperWow and one of the members was telling the story about how excited her sister (a pastor's wife) was about meeting this illusionst at Ft Walton SuperWow a few weeks ago....and I said..."Hey!" I know him and I know his wife. Made me feel kinda special like I know someone really cool....but you guys are cool! So cool that Brock can teach someone English without ever seeing them. Think he could teach me German? Hehehe :)

What week will you be at Ft Walton next week? I'd really like our youth to hear Brock's message.

Have a great day and I'm praying for you guys!
Teresa (in Georgia)

Barbara said...

First of all, i want to thank you for everything you gave me. not just the material things, but you open your heart to me and you gave me everything without almost even know me (except for the blog) thank you for invite me to stay with you, for feeding me and dedicate me all your time so my staying was nice. And believe me... was Great!! is the most Huge, Fabulous, Marvelous, Fantastic, Nervous and CRAZY experience i ever done in my whole life. It is true that i was scary and very nervous to go to a new city, alone, just with a paper with an address and a phone number (shannon's) that i already don't know if is her cel phone or her house number, thanks God i didn't have to use it. Because if i had to, and it was be her's house number i'll porbably cry, do pee on my pants and drive me crazy. Beside i didn't had an idea of how you'll receive me when i arrived, i didn't know if maybe you just stay with me in the show and then let me there with out having where to stay and eat. i'll probaly stay paralyzed and schizophrenic for a few hours.
But everything went perfect. it has been the best week end of my life. even thought was just some hours that we stay together (Brock tired in most of them) But if i been there for 1 more minute, i'll get a heart attack for the excitement i had. So i think was the right time, in the indicate day on the specific year. And that's how is going to be for the eternity. The perfect momento of my life. Nothing missing, nothing remain.

I hope see you soon. If is not in august, in september, october or nobember the 5th in corpus chisty. i'll try to go to the FX of corpus. Now i'll make sure have someone who can go with me... but if is no one... i'll not think it twice and do again the adventure to go see you guys alone. It really worth every heart beat, every liver bile and every gastric juice from my stomach hahahahaha

take care of your selves. i'll be praying for you guys

PD: Auny's and Brock's mom, i don't know who she is, but i meet both on photos auny have on her camera, and i hope we can meet soon too!
PD2: I use the word fabulous, do you see it!?!
PD3: i need to learn more english...

Barbara said...

i love you guys!
thank you for the flatter.

Amber said...

I love that:) every Liver Bile and every Gastric Juice, only Barbara!!!

AUNY said...

Teresa, we are going to be in Ft Walton every week next year, so ya'll can just pick one!