Thursday, November 15, 2007

Ryan and Rain

I found out yesterday that my cousin, Ryan, died in a motorcycle accident Tuesday night. He was in his early twenties and was newly married. My uncle (who is Ryan's grandfather) had a brother who just died in a car accident a month ago. What a blow for this family. They are very solid in their faith. In fact, Ryan's mother made a comment yesterday that the Lord "is still good." She definitely has a peace that only comes from the Lord. Nobody can say something like that within 24 hours of their child's death unless the Lord is giving them strength. However, this is still so devastating. Please pray for my family right now. My mom is flying from Texas to Florida to go to the funeral.

Death is such a weird thing for us humans. Ryan is in heaven. We don't mourn for his sake but for ours. It's so difficult for us to wrap our minds around death and heaven and such.

All day yesterday I was rather down. It simply seems so senseless for Ryan to die. As I sat on my hammock in the strangely warm weather contemplating this, it began to rain. Instead of running inside to avoid getting wet, I stayed right where I was and let the rain come down on me. It really felt good. I realized that there were a lot of things that I don't quite understand about the Lord. Rain is one of them. As I sat there feeling the rain on my skin, I just knew that the Lord is in control. I was seeing a picture of how He controls the whole earth. Even when the wind and rain strengthened, the Lord was commanding it. What a mighty God! How can I think that I can understand everything about Him?

7 comments:

Amber said...

I am SO sorry to hear about your families loss! I will definitely keep you all in my thoughts and prayers! May the Lord grant you and your family indescribable peace!

Amber said...

I am SO sorry to hear about your families loss! I will definitely keep you all in my thoughts and prayers! May the Lord grant you and your family indescribable peace!

emily said...

Auny, I'm so thankful for the gift of your friendship and for your faith. I'm praying for you and your family.
I love you so much!

Anonymous said...

no doubt. u guys are in my prayers and heart.

your pain is my pain, and your joy is my joy.

The Lord has given and taken. The Name of the lord be praised!!!

Job said that in his sufferings. Just like Ryan's mom.

AUNY said...

Thanks for your prayers and encouragement.

Barbara said...

Hy AUNY... I just read this... I'm so sorry. Is hard, but he is now in a better place, so we have to be happy for him.
I'll definitly pray for all the family. I know God will give you all the peace.
I'm with you and with your family.

Leah said...

Hey, I think God must have been sad for you. I think that's part of what rain is. I know the science behind it, but I think God sends the rain to comfort us in such devastating times. It reminds us that new life comes from the outpour. That God really is in control of it all, but that He absolutely cares for us all individually. What a great God we serve!