Sunday, November 25, 2007

Thanksgiving Cooking

I've got to tell you that I'm not the most exceptional cook. I follow recipes very well. However, I cannot do several things at once especially if cooking is involved. I must follow that recipe to the letter and if I'm distracted, things go wrong. Therefore, I get flustered if there are tons of people talking to me while I try to cook. I simply must cook by myself. To add to this, my kitchen is tiny. At one point, I had to tell Brock and Lucas to give me some space or else none of the food was going to turn out. I literally kicked them out of the kitchen.

Also, if you can remember some of my "Lucille Ball" moments, there have been plenty that have happened in the kitchen. I've dropped the whole container of sugar and flour before. I've used salt in the cookies instead of sugar. I remember one time in college I was helping mom cook something. She left for a minute and came running back. Her comment was, "I didn't want to leave you in the kitchen by yourself." She knew that disaster could strike at any moment. Brock has found that out a few times himself.

I am getting better. I only burned myself two times this weekend. I didn't have a complete melt down, just got overwhelmed yesterday at lunch (that's why we went out to eat last night...I needed a break and we ran out of food). I cooked two new desserts, and one of them turned out exceptional. The other was just okay because I used goats evaporated milk instead of the regular. It was eaten up though!

2 comments:

AUNY said...

Brock made two turkeys and a gumbo. I cooked: cornbread dressing, corn pudding, cornbread, pumpkin crisp, two buttermilk pies, taco soup, and homemade pudding, not to mention all of the other food that was brought by others. It's gone!!!

Amber said...

Sounds yummy! I wish I could join one of your hodge podge Thanksgivings one year! Sound like a blast!!!