Sunday, May 18, 2008

Books, Books, and More Books

Well, I'm a reader. I'm a slow reader, so it takes me longer than the average person to read a book. However, I spend many hours on a truck or in a plane, so I have a lot of time to read. I figured out that I read about 40 books a year on average. That really adds up when you're buying so many books! I tried the library thing, but it's not convenient at all for me due to location and my lifestyle. I thought about maybe joining a book club, but I don't even know if they do that anymore.

Last night, I found the answer! AMAZON.com. They have all of the books that I want for really cheap. I don't care if they are used. I found some books for 1 penny. Of course, I had to pay $4 for shipping and handling, but $4 isn't bad for a book, especially when it comes right to my doorstep. Anyway, I cut my yearly spending on books in half by using amazon.com.

I go through different phases with authors and genres of books that I like to read. I got some Lori Wick, Karen Kingsbury, Dee Henderson, and Francine Rivers (I had to get one of her old ones because I've read everything that she's written within the last 10 years). For my Bible study time, I got some John MacArthur New Testement study books, some Women of Faith study guides, and a Mark E. Moore book. Recently, while I was studying "Acts," I read Francine Rivers' book "The Scribe." It really brought the scriptures to life. That was a great combination! What authors do you enjoy?

6 comments:

Amber said...

Alot of the same Authors you read. Francine Rivers is my all time Fave!

Barbara said...

woooooooooow! 40 books a year. that's a lot. I really am slow reader. i read like 2 - 3 Spanish books per year. now that i'm reading in English, i'll nearly read 1. hahaha

AUNY said...

You are getting better and better at your English. By the end of the summer, you will be great!

She's my favorite, too, Amber. I'm going to try one of her old books before she began writing Christian. I bet it's good, too!

Barbara said...

i hope so!

Anonymous said...

I buy my books at overstock.com. they have always been cheaper than amazon (i think at minimum 5% less) and they have cheaper shipping. You can order 10 books and it's only $2.95 to ship all of them.

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the KINDLE on Amazon?? Its Pretty cool, expensive but cool. Check it out.