Monday, May 19, 2008

Party, Party, Party

We've been doing nothing but going to parties since I got here. Mom had a small group party with a mexican fiesta theme at their house Friday night. Saturday, we went to a graduation celebration at Buca Di Pepo. Yesterday, they had Homecoming at the church, so they had a big meal after church. Then, we went to a birthday party. Today, we are going out to celebrate Mother's Day and dad's birthday. I'm going to gain 10 pounds while I'm here!

Yesterday was fun seeing a small community come together. They had a silent auction for the GA's. They were auctioning off gift baskets that you could use for Father's Day or as a graduation present. Well, dad kept bidding on this one that had some homeade blackberry jam in it. Then, I decided to get it for him for Father's Day and be able to contribute in the process. I tried to keep it a secret from him, but I'm not as slick as Brock. I had the last bid when he came over to see what it had risen to. I simply covered my name with my hand. He was debating on bidding $1 higher than me (even though he didn't know it was me). Then, he pushed my hand out of the way to see who had bid that last bid. Oh well! I still got it for him!

Dad is going out to the poor area of this little town every Thursday night and telling them Bible stories since they cannot read (it's called Bible storying which missionaries use in foreign countries a lot). Some of the people from this group have been coming to church and were there yesterday. They were so funny! They asked me all kinds of questions about Nashville and country music singers. They thought that I was a singer because of my hair I think. One lady told me that she liked to sing but she couldn't sing those "Lakewood songs." She could only sing along with the hymns. Lakewood is a big church in Houston, and I guess that she called any chorus that wasn't a hymn a "Lakewood song." She also said that Red Blanchette, the judge here in town, should be president of the U.S.A. They were a hoot! I kept thinking how much Brock would enjoy hanging out with them!

1 comments:

Barbara said...

very interesting days.