Wednesday, October 08, 2008

"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Buy a New One"

My dad and I take that saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" to the 100th degree. It's mostly that we don't really think about buying new stuff. My dad has been using the same hairbrush since before he was married. They've been married for well over 30 years now. I'm not quite as bad as him, but I run along the same pattern.

I've had my same phone for 3 years now. It's been great! Every year, Brock asks me if I want a new phone. We've even gone into the store to look at other phones before. However, even though mine is all nicked up because I've dropped it umpteen times, it's still in great shape. The front screen is shorting out. So, it is sorta broken. We went to Verizon yesterday, and I still didn't get another phone.

I did get some new clothes, though. Every now and then, Brock tells me that I need to update my clothes. A couple of years ago, I was still wearing jeans that I wore in college. I listen to him when it comes to updating clothes because I know that living in a city like Nashville, I need to keep up. I still only buy clothes once or twice a year. I buy shoes way less. One time, Brock bought me some new sandals and threw away my old shoes on the spot just so that I wouldn't wear them anymore. Is this weird? My husband is saying that he will buy me something new and I'm not so eager to do that.

2 comments:

Amber said...

It sounds weird to me; but then again, I just look for a reason to shop:)

Barbara said...

Is not weird to me.
My boyfriend want to buy me a new cellphone and mp3 player. But i don't want anyone. My phone still works. Is all broke because the past owner i don't know what he did with the phone, trow it away when he was anger. It have a tape in the battery cover because is all broke. Also have a tape in some other places because is all broke. broke broke broke. I have to listen to the people from a broke corner, because i think the honk hole is obstructed with dust or i don't know hahaha. I don't need a new one. This one works fine. And the mp3 player was a very cheap one, and now if falling into parts too. But still works. I don't mind. When one of those die. I'll buy a new one.

And i buy clothes one or two times a year too. My boyfriend used to tell me to buy clothes. but not any more. Because now i buy 1 or 2 times a year. And is fine for him. Not perfect, but fine.