Friday, May 06, 2005

Fasting

Today, I am fasting for Brock's meeting with the producers of the television show about the miracles of Jesus. I know that I don't fast enough. I'm reading the book "Prayer, The Key to Revival" by Paul Cho for the second time. Paul Cho is the pastor of the largest church in the world. They had 500,000 members when he wrote this book in 1984. He loves Americans because we are the ones who initially brought the gospel to Korea. However, he does hint that we are not very disciplined in our prayer life. His accusations must be true. He spends hours daily in prayer. We have trouble having a daily 30 minute quiet time.

I think that one of the disciplines of prayer that we, as Americans, have the most trouble with is fasting. We love to eat (myself included)! We've got such great food here! However, many Godly people have fasted from Moses to Jesus to Paul to Paul Cho to P.O.D. (I read in a secular magazine that P.O.D. fasted for their album "Satellite" to be a success.) It should be part of our prayer life in some way.

I never really thought about fasting until I met Brock. He went on several fasts as he was beginning this ministry trying to seek direction from the Father. The long fast he did in 1998 not only led him in how to develop this ministry but changed his life as well. It seems like you can hear God more clearly during a fast.

Paul Cho says this about fasting in his book: "If we can combine this intense natural desire [to eat] with our natural spiritual desire for communion with our spiritual source, then what results is a much greater intensity: this is the purpose of prayer and fasting."

0 comments: