Sunday, May 08, 2005

My Mom

I heard Dr. James Dobson on the radio the other day talking about raising a stubborn child. He said that people are born stubborn and you cannot change it. The only way he suggested to deal with it is to focus on the good qualities about being strong willed. I think that my mom did a great job steering my stubborness in a more positive direction. She encouraged me to be independent and driven without allowing me to run over her. She was so patient with me. You've got to understand! I'm really strong willed. One day, my mom actually pinned a note on me when I was in pre-kindergarten that said "I dressed myself."

She never let me use the phrase "I'm bored." She beleived that you should find something to do with your time, not rely on others to keep you entertained. This is so helpful to me today because in this career, there are many occassions where I have time on my hands.

My mom is never bored. She is always the life of the party and is up for fun every time. One of my mom's gifts is hospitality. Sometimes, my friends would stop by my house even though I was off at college. I'd call home and my friends were eating dinner with my parents.

Mom has so many wonderful qualities that it would take me all day to talk about it. However, the most exceptional trait about mom is her love for the Lord and people. I can remember her serving homeless men food out on our front porch. I've seen her lead people to the Lord on more than one occasion. I watched as she demonstrated how to be an awesome helpmate to a Godly husband. Thanks mom for everything.

0 comments: