Monday, May 02, 2005

Learning That I May Be Part of the Answer I

My dad preached a sermon the other night about prayer. He stated that most Christians have a problem with listening to God. He also said that after you listen, you may be part of the answer. This made me think. The majority of the time, I just pray for the person and that is the extent of it.

Yesterday, during the service, I came in a little late. I had to slip by a lady in order to sit by my friends. As I passed by her, I felt as if she had a need. She did not look needy. She was a well dressed lady probably in her 50's. The only odd thing about her was that she was by herself. She looked like she should have friends and family surrounding her. I began to pray that the Lord would show me her need. At one point, in order to display the importance of affection, our pastor had all of us stand up and hug each other. I hugged my friends as we all were laughing and hugging. Then, I glanced over at the lady and she was just standing there by herself. I ran over to her and threw my arms around her...not one of those side hugs with the two pats on the back but a full on embrace. She said, "Thank you." When I sat back down, I just knew that a hug was what she needed. I don't know why. After the service, I walked by her to leave and she said, "Thank you again for that hug. That made my day!" I told her, "Ah, you are welcome."

Later, as I was telling Brock, I told him that I was part of the answer! However, I could have done more. I was so awkward when she thanked me. I felt as if I should have said more. My close friends and family would not agree with this, but I'm not a good talker (the disagreement would be because I can talk a lot!). Brock said that I know what to say. I wanted to know why she needed that hug. He said to just say it! It will only be awkward the first few times.

So, yesterday afternoon, I was at the mall and I saw a girl just crying her eyes out. This is getting too long. I'll continue it tomorrow...

0 comments: