Friday, July 22, 2005

To Say Hello or Not to Say Hello

I saw someone the other day in a store. I knew that I knew him from somewhere. He looked too familiar. Where did I know him from? Was it from a show? He did look as if he could be a youth pastor. Was it through my parents? I was in the area in which my parents live. Did I know him from when Brock and I lived in this area a few years ago? My worlds were colliding as I racked my brain to try and figure out how I knew this guy. We passed each other in the aisle and not knowing what to do, I gave him an enthusiastic "Hi!" He mumbled a hello as it was obvious that he did not recognize me. Then, I noticed his wife was on the other side of him. I was so intent on figuring out how I knew him that I totally overlooked his wife. That explains why he looked so embarrassed with my "Hi." I can just picture that discussion between them after I left!

I never know what to do in a situation like that. There are many times when people don't know who I am if I'm not accompanied by Brock. He is so memorable. We have waitresses that remember waiting on Brock two years previously! However, I'm not quite as easy to remember. So, do I go ahead and say hello making them feel awkward because they don't remember who I am, or do I not say anything at the risk of looking like a snob? Help me out here. This happens to me often.

0 comments: