Saturday, November 19, 2005

Power During the Show Last Night

The guy is introducing us onstage last night, and Stephanie radios us from front of house that she cannot find the power cord for the laptop from which we play all of our music for the show. There was only 4% battery remaining. Of course, this was the one time that we didn't bring our ipod which has all of the show songs backed up. It was really all of our faults. I was the one who took the laptop in the bedroom leaving the power cord plugged into the office wall. Brock picked up just the laptop in the bedroom. So, I should've taken the power supply with me, Brock should've made sure it was in the bag before claiming that he got the laptop, and Stephanie should've checked for it when she was soundchecking.

However, there was no time for placing blame. The guy is still introducing Brock and I'm now at front of house looking at the computer watching as it slips down to 3%. Stephanie ran off to try and find someone who had a Mac power supply. The guy says Brock's name and the crowd begins to applaud. I have to make a split second decision. I played the song for the first trick praying that it would make it thru that one song. Then, I ran up to the stage and yelled to Brock to skip the next trick and go on to the third one. The third trick was a volunteer trick that did not require music. It would buy us more time for Steph to find a cord. During that trick, Stephanie did find a power cord to borrow from some random guy out in the lobby. I ran backstage and told Brock that we were good and to go on to the second trick after he had finished the third trick and then go on to the fourth and so on. We continued the show and the audience was none the wiser.

I was praying that Stephanie would find someone with a power cord on them during the time it took to do the third trick, and I was also praying that the computer would make it thru the first trick. I realized later that Stephanie and I were so distracted that there was nobody in the back manning the laptop to turn it off after that first trick. If it had any battery left, it would have gone on to the next song and been very awkward. Therefore, the laptop shut down exactly after the first song and trick. It was as if the Lord Himself was manning the computer for a second. Brock was praying for power as well as stalling for time onstage being extra witty with the volunteer. Stephanie was awesome! We couldn't have done it without her. She ran around frantically asking anyone and everyone if they had a Mac. Eventually she found power and saved the day!

2 comments:

Amber said...

The Lord works in mysterious ways!
It's just SO awesome when we actually get to see it!!!

t.newb said...

hey, cool story! I can't remember if I told you to check out my silly blog - xanga.com/tnewb. Of course tylernewberry.com is the "real" one.