Sunday, May 28, 2006

First Show at Spirit West Coast

Honestly, I was a little disappointed at first. When we arrived in San Diego, the weather was not beautiful like I expected. It was overcast and cold. In fact, it was nicer weather in Nashville before we left. Then, since we had been awake since 5am Central Time, we were ready to get to our room to take a nap. Of course, the room was not ready yet, so we went out to the pool area where Brock fell asleep on a lounge chair. Eventually, the sun started to peak out and it began to warm up. I shed my jacket and later, went into the bathroom and changed into my swimsuit. I actually got a little sun!

Our show began at 10:30 at night and I thought that we would be on the large stage. That wasn't the case. We were on this tiny stage with just the florescent lights to illuminate the stage. Therefore, nobody could really see Brock on the video screen. I knew this about 5 minutes before the show was to begin, so I had to alter the show knowing there would be no live feed. I planned on using all volunteer tricks and tricks that involved humor. You cannot rely on the wowing tricks if they could have trouble seeing. Things were not looking good. Here we were on this tiny stage off the beaten path with no video. I figured that hardly anyone would show up and the ones that did would not get into the show because they couldn't see it very well.

This did not happen. The Lord must have shown favor on us because the place was packed. In fact, it was standing room only. Even though the people in the back had trouble seeing and hearing because production was not prepared for that large of a crowd, everybody was so with Brock. They laughed so much and all of the volunteers were great! It ended up being one of the best shows ever!

0 comments: