Sunday, October 01, 2006

Birthday Cake Fiasco

Mom's birthday was this month, so we decided to surprise her and celebrate yesterday while we were together. Mom asked me to go to the grocery store that morning, so it was a perfect time to pick up a cake. However, when I got home, I had no idea how to get it into the house without mom seeing it. The kitchen is right by the garage and the dining room table where we were playing cards is beside the back door. She could be in any of these two places at any time. Plus, my sister and brother-in-law were not there yet to help me.

So, I had the great idea to bring it through a window. I opened my bedroom window, ran outside, took the cake out of the trunk, and ran around the side of the house to my bedroom window. I could not get the screen off of the window. I know from experience that the only window in the house without a screen is mom and dad's bathroom window. So, I placed the cake by the front door. I went in and played one hand of cards so mom would not be suspicious. Meanwhile, the cake may be getting hot.

Then, I ran to their bathroom, locked the door, and crawled out the window. I ran around the house to get the cake. The only problem was that the window was too high for me to hoist myself up there much less a cake as well. So, I just went through the back door willing to spill the beans on the surprise, but to my luck, mom was in the kitchen. So, I snuck the cake into my bedroom.

The problem now was that I still had the door locked and window opened in their bathroom. I went back and played another hand of cards. Then, Brock called, so I took the phone outside, grabbed a lawn chair, and was beginning to go back through the window. My dad came out to tell me something to ask Brock. At the sight of me standing on a chair under their bathroom window, he bursted out laughing. However, he did not mention it to my mom. I told Brock that I needed to go because I was crawling through a window. He just said, "Okay." (I guess he is used to my "Lucille Ball" moments and thought nothing of it.)

We surprised mom with the cake and she was none the wiser. I pulled it off!

4 comments:

kelli beth said...

glad to hear your mission was successful! :)

Amber said...

I seem to remember another episode of crawling through a window with you!!! Do you make a habit of this?

AUNY said...

I didn't think that I had crawled thru windows very much, but my family started naming off many times that I had. Gin and I used to climb up the fire escape and thru the window in college when we missed curfew!

Gin said...

ssshhhhhhh! that was a secret! :)