Thursday, November 30, 2006

Daniel: Living in a Modern Day Babylon

Daniel was taken from his home and transplanted to Babylon when he was a teenager. You might feel sorry for him until you hear what Babylon was like. It was the land of opportunity and money. Not only was Daniel taken to Babylon, but he was brought into the king's court (Daniel 1).

They gave Daniel and all of the other king's men in training all of this extravegant food. However, Daniel and his friends asked not to eat the food from the king. Back in those times, to share a meal was to commit oneself to friendship. It was like a covenant. Daniel decided not to compromise. He didn't give into the ways of Babylon and their customs if it conflicted with the will of the one true God.

Babylon was a place that was rich. It had many gods and was very self seeking. The motto of Babylon was: "I am, and there is none besides me." (Isaiah 47:8, 10). Does this sound familiar? Self seeking, rich? It sounds a lot like America.

We have everything and more than we want. Studies show that life in America is getting better while we feel worse. Too many choices leads to unhappiness. Americans are miserable with self absorption.

We don't have to live this way...this false "happy" life. We don't have to give in to every indulgence that comes our way. We have a different King. Our King is the only One who knows the key to happiness. It's totally different than what we would think too.

I'm saying "we" because I'm trying to remind myself as well. I allow myself to get carried away by Babylon at times. Lets all try to live a life like Daniel. We need to be in the world but not of it. With the Lord's help, we can do it!

7 comments:

AUNY said...

Don't you want to comment????

HawkNest said...

Okay, twist my arm . . . stop that's enough! I've wanted to comment several times but just wasn't brave enough.

I completed the Daniel Study this past summer and believe it's the most amazing one that Beth Moore's put together thus far. It speaks volumes in relation to today's Babylon! God keeps giving me more and more "Daniel connections" everyday and I just love how he's using you to speak to me, too.

Also, thanks for sharing the Daniel Story that was NOT in the bible . . .that is soooooooooo cool to know! I just love how you and Brock are both "Daniel's of this day!" I have 12-year-old twin boys who love to watch the "Hidden Agenda" DVD and I've watched "Miracles of Jesus" DVD a couple of times . . . your communication methods are so effective. I feel so privileged to be a part of your TPC family and read your blogs almost daily.

P.S. I can't resist asking . . . which food category does "Brock's Extreme Brownie Explosion" fall under? Ha! Ha!

P.S.S. In case you're wondering, I'm your hometown notary at TPC!

AUNY said...

Thanks so much for sharing with me...I love comments! Brock's special at the Cocoa Tree consists of: the brownie cookie straight out of the oven with fondue chocolate on top with whip cream on top of that.

Anonymous said...

I am teaching a youth lesson tonight and Daniel has been on my heart for the kids for weeks (along with Esther). I stumbled across your post today and I am totally stealing it! Thanks for the "Modern Day Babylon." Esther will have to wait until next time.

Loving Teens!
Charity

Anonymous said...

this is so amazing. you just said exactly what i am learning in the daniel bible study with Beth Moore. It really is true that the King of Kings can satisfy us more than a modern-day babylon. thanks for the reminder and God bless:)

Mandy DeSutter said...

Auny... ok this is funny. SO I am getting ready to go and teach on the book of Daniel in Peru so tonight I am taking some time to study and prepare. I started searching about Daniel online and clicked on "a blog" only to find out it was written by YOU! What a small world!! So, you want to know another awesome thing about Daniel. He was a teen when he was captured... 12 to 18 they think. There were 10,000 people or so that were taken to Babylon including Ezekiel who was 25 at the time. We all know that Ezekiel was a priest that God used in huge ways but how amazing is it that God chose a child, who was simply living under the cushion of his godly father DAVID, to express visions, carry wisdom and gain a 2nd command ranking on his enemy's land. Faith isn't left for pastors and missionaries... we all have a mission! Isn't that amazing!! God showed me that tonight. I am blown away!! AND, Ezekiel even recognized Daniel's wisdom later when he was talking to other people who were full of pride. God is so amazing in how He uses us!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!