Tuesday, August 07, 2007

The Comforter

The strangest thing happened last night. There's a group of girls that meet every Monday night. Of course, I haven't been able to attend in the last two months. Well, I texted the leader and told her to pray for me because I was on the verge of spiritual burn out.

I experienced emotional burn out two years ago. It took me 6 months to get over it. Last year, I had physical burn out with exhaustion which I was able to get over very quickly. However, the ulcer that I developed at the same time took 6 weeks to recover from. I still must be very careful about what I eat and my stress level in order for it not to flare up again.

What I have been going through for the last couple of weeks is totally different. I haven't really prayed in a couple of weeks. That scared me. I normally feel the Lord's presence in some fashion everyday whether it's during the invitations at our shows or in the quiet time I take with the Lord. I felt nothing---just numbness toward Him lately. It was unlike anything I'd ever experienced.

Last night, I felt so much better. I knew that the girls had prayed for me. My thought was, "We'll see if it lasts till the morning." This is the kind of cynical thinking I've been having lately...very unlike me.

During the night, in the wee hours of the morning, I felt the Lord's presence for the first time in weeks. (You may want to sit down because this gets sorts weird. The Lord can be weird sometimes---just different than we expect.) He was leaning over my bed healing me---restoring me. It reminded me of a mother leaning over her sick child. With such tenderness, He renewed me. I didn't see Him, but only felt Him. He is the Comforter!

While I was looking for another verse just now, I stumbled across this one: "As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you." Isaiah 66:13a

7 comments:

Barbara said...

wow. that happens to me sometimes too... is that normal??

Amber said...

What an awesome description! I am So glad that he healed you! I have to say, I was a little worried while reading the first part of your blog. I was about to jump a plane:) I'll be praying for complete renewal! LOL!!!

Anonymous said...

Psalm 46:1 says God is a very present help in times of trouble. So no, your experience didn't sound weird to me but was a special blessing that you needed. Great answer to prayers for you also. Mom

ginsmom said...

During the night, in the wee hours of the morning, I was awake praying for you to be restored physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I know this is beginning to sound like I make this stuff up, but I promise I'm not.

I'm in tears right now because of the way your description perfectly mirrored my prayer. I'm not surprised, though, because I was praying things that sounded weird to me, so I knew it didn't come from my head, but God's heart...He was praying through me. It never ceases to amaze me!

AUNY said...

Gin, it never seems to amaze me either! The connection Gin and I have in prayer is SUPERNATURAL. When we were in college, I would come home from work and class and she would tell me what she had specifically prayed for me that day. It would be the perfect prayer for that day and time. You can go back and read my post from Dec. 2, 2005 to find out how her prayer may have saved my life! She has taught me so much about prayer. The biggest thing I've learned through our connection in prayer is how much the Lord loves me! He's so sweet! Thanks, Gin, for always being available.

AUNY said...

I meant never CEASES to amaze me either.

Angi said...

God is so awesome. He will never leave us or forsake us.