Monday, August 06, 2007

Competition

Simon Cowell said, "You are not a true artist unless want to be the best." This could apply to everything. You are not a true teacher unless you want to be the best. You are not a true accountant unless you want to be the best. You are not a true mom or dad unless you want to be the best. You are not a true Christian unless you want to be the best. What's wrong with this statement?

The problem with this is that you have to put others down in order for you to be the best. Why do we enjoy hearing that another Christian has fallen? Why do we secretly rejoice when our competition fails, because we selfishly want to be the best.

When I am at places like Spirit West Coast with other Christian entertainers (not the musicians, but unique kind of entertainers like us), it's difficult not to be competitive. I have to constantly keep myself in check. I don't need to compare us to other Christian entertainers. There is plenty of room in this world for all of us. Plus, we are all on the same side. If it's hard for me at festivals, I can only imagine how difficult it is for musicians. They have so much competition.

However, I would have to agree slightly with Simon Cowell. You should try to be the best...be the best "you" you can be. Using all of the resources, talents, and gifts that the Lord has given you, strive to be the best you can be. We need to strive for excellence. That doesn't mean comparing yourself to others no matter how much we are tempted. Chances are, you can find somebody better than you and worse than you in just about every area of your life. Jesus is our standard, not the competition. He believes in you and knows what you are capable of. With His strength and wisdom, you can be excellent!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so true. Some are like that, its sad. But if they think about it, "SOme" will get it.

Gotta knock some sense into them. lol

1

Anonymous said...

Thanks Auny. I needed that reality check. I work in a highly competitive stressful enviornment. That's another reason I like to read your post every day.....God says thru "you" to "me" what I need to hear for that day.

Teresa