Friday, February 15, 2008

Desert Time

I have a friend that's going through what I call a "desert time." Many of us have gone through it. The Lord likes to send us through it so that we will be dependent on Him only. I went through my desert time when I was 16 years old. I was born and raised in Daytona Beach, FL. I loved it there! I always told people that my parents could not move until I was in college. Then, I'd marry a guy and bring him back to Daytona. Well, in my sophomore year of high school, that began to change for me. For some reason, I began to want a change and was dissatisfied with Daytona. Shortly after that, my parents said that we were moving to Ft Worth, TX. I was actually excited! The Lord made me uncomfortable where I was in order to get me ready for a change.

We moved to Ft Worth and it wasn't what I thought it would be. I didn't fit in. I didn't have any friends. On Friday and Saturday nights, I would sit at home. I was very lonely. However, I still look back on that time and think that was when I learned to let the Lord be my rock. I spent over two hours a day just hanging out with Him...praying and reading scripture.

During that time, Carmen (of all people) said this in one of his concerts that I attended. He read Luke chapter 4 verses 1 and 14. "Jesus, FULL OF THE HOLY SPIRIT, left Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the Wilderness." In verse 14 it says, "Jesus returned to Galilee in the POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT..." He said that sometimes we need that "desert time" or "wilderness time" in order to live in the power of the Holy Spirit.

I'm convinced that the Lord has most everyone of His followers go through a desert time simply because He wants to get close to us with no distractions. If you would have asked me at that time if I wanted my circumstances changed, I would have said, "Yes!" Now, looking back, I'd say, "No," because my relationship with the Lord was really formed and molded that year. The Lord cares more about His relationship with you than your circumstances. He's a jealous God. He wants ALL of you to Himself. He's going to do whatever it takes to get your attention.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Thanks Auny! You always know what to say!

Anonymous said...

What a great share! Thanks for always being the encourager.