Sunday, February 17, 2008

Quirks

One of my friends said that when she was visiting family, her husband brought up some of her quirky obsessive-compulsive tendencies. Her uncle told her that she needed to go to a psychologist about it even though they are very minor things and only occur on rare occasions. She began to tell him that she knew a person who cannot stand the sight or feel of wet paper and another friend who has a phobia of peanut butter. Her uncle then proceeded to tell her that she was drawn to these friends because of her “problems.” I told her that I don’t see these things as problems as much as they are quirks. I say to celebrate your quirks! They are what make us each unique.

I have several quirks like how I like to sleep with 6 pillows but condensed it down to 3 when I got married. Also, I like my food VERY hot. Therefore, I finish soup before anyone else begins eating it, and buffets are not my choice because the food isn’t as hot. Another quirk is that when I set a timer or a numbered volume level, it must be 2 higher than an increment of 5. For example, I wouldn’t set the microwave to 10 seconds but to 12. When I told my friend this, she stated that I was weird!

Do you have quirks or is it just me and my friends?

4 comments:

Amber said...

I think everyone has to have at least one quirk! I count silently on my fingers at the weirdest times! Normally while watching T.V.

What's up with that???

Haley said...

Everyone wants to be a psychologist and diagnose people. You can find yourself in at least one disorder in the DSM-IV. You're right, quirks are what make us who we are. I stop the microwave before it beeps! Fun!

Michawn said...

Oh my gosh...I love that you are weird just like the rest of us. Yes, I think that I'm just going to look at my "issues" as quirks now. Thanks. I'm not even going to start to list them though. :-)

Joy Argow said...

I so need my tea to be hot too... they call me iron throat :-) As for lukewarm food... I'd rather 'spew it out of my mouth.." lol

I also have a bad habit of leaving kitchen cupboards open... It even annoys me but I still somehow manage to leave them open!!!!!! Gosh!