Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Hair and Doctor's Appointments

Yesterday I felt like I got a glimpse into some of you moms' worlds. I woke up early and cleaned a little. After I woke up Brock, I headed to town to do a bunch of errands. Then, I met my friend at her work and went with her to get her hair colored. It was only the second time she's ever even had highlights, so she needed a little moral support. After a couple of hours at the salon, I had to rush home and pick Brock up for a doctor's appointment.

Brock has been having trouble getting all the water out of his ears after he performs the water coffin. Usually, it goes away, but it's been a couple of months. A doctor's visit was inevitable. Since we've been married, Brock has not been to a doctor short of a chiropractor. He's been rather healthy. The nurse asked him all kinds of questions. He had never had any kind of diseases, but the list of bones he had broken was extraordinary! He's broken his foot, a couple of toes, 2 bones in his arm, a finger, his leg, nose, and collar bone. They flushed his ears out and there was a lot of junk in there. No wonder he's been turning up the TV so loud! Dispite all of the loud concerts we've attended, his hearing is perfect..."disgustingly good" as the doctor said and better than most 30 year olds. We were at the doctor's office for 3 hours!

Last night, I cooked, cleaned up the kitchen, and got our office people's Christmas gifts ready. Now I know why all of the ladies were stressed Sunday at church!


Amber said...

That's nothing, just look around and see how stressed all the woman are this sunday!!!

Gin said...

You know, I was just catching up on your blog from the past week or so, and I've been thinking about the very same thing...how our lives are so hectic. It doesn't matter if you're on the road, a career girl, or a domestic engineer, our lives are too strung out!

Monday I hosted a luncheon for the ladies at my office. I got to stay home from work and cook Christmas dinner, decorate, etc., etc. I got up at 6:00 in the morning, and when the girls got to my house at 12:30 I had barely had time to put on makeup, and I still had wet hair from my shower. When they left, I had a lot of cleaning up to do, but I made myself sit down and take a break.

My new (and probably temporary) hobby is sewing, so I turned on some Christmas music, sat amongst the many twinkle lights in my living room, and started working on sewing a pillow for my precious baby nephew...by hand! No loud whir of a sewing machine...no red-faced frustration over a bobbin that runs out in the middle of your stitch and then gets tangled when you try to replace it...no focusing on the workings of modern machinery rather than the simple delight of creating. It was only a couple hours of perfect peace, but it did my heart good. The aura of it stays with me even now, two days later.

Here is my Christmas challenge to you all: force yourself to take some time to yourself, doing something relaxing and fulfilling. It will do your heart good, as well, in the midst of this bustling, commercial season. Take some time to yourself and ponder the goodness of our Lord and the sacrifice He made to wrap Himself in flesh for our sakes.

Merry Christmas!