Tuesday, March 27, 2007

No Worries Part 1

I feel like the Lord is trying to teach me about worrying. A couple of weekends ago, our engine light came on in our car. (I actually thought it was the transmission light). It was the weekend and Brock was in California. I asked one of my friends who knows about cars and he told me that when our type of truck gets to this mileage, everything starts going wrong. He then informed me that if we do have to replace the transmission, it would only cost about $1,200. That's a lot of money!

I immediately began to worry. One of my other friends that was there said that it doesn't help matters to worry. So, I put it out of my mind that Saturday night. On Sunday morning, the thought came back up. As I was getting ready for church, this scripture came to mind..."Don't worry about tomorrow. For each day has enough trouble of its own." I decided just to try that. It was Sunday, so no service places were opened. I decided to not think about it until Monday morning. I had a great, worry-free day on Sunday.

First thing Monday morning, I took it to a car service place that specialized in transmissions. I had trouble finding the place. With each wrong turn I was getting a little more anxious. I wasn't in tears yet. Whenever I finally arrived, the lady at the desk smiled and said, "You found us." I just unloaded on her. I said, "My transmission light just came on although nothing feels funny, but my husband is out of town until Tuesday night and we have to go to Memphis Wednesday in order to see my sister and brother-in-law commissioned to become missionaries and I don't know if I should drive it or not." Now that was a run-on sentence if I've ever heard one! The lady smiled and said that they would get it checked out for us.

A few minutes later, the mechanic came out and told me that it wasn't the transmission. In fact, he said that it wasn't a big deal at all. He made the light go off and if it came back on, it was probably just a leak in one of the hoses. Wow! I was so relieved! They didn't even charge me for looking at it. Even if something was wrong with the transmission, it wouldn't have been worth it to spend my whole weekend worrying about it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hacuna Matata!! It means, "NO Worries"


Whoa!!! that was crazy, glad everything is cool.

Prasie God for his lessons on Worries 101

Anonymous said...

Auny, go back and read your blog for March 18th! I claimed that scripture a long time ago and have used it when counseling others NOT TO WORRY! I am thinking of making a poster of that scripture for my office--so many students and parents come into my office and the first thing out of their mouth is that they are worried about financial aid! The first thing that I say to them is to quote them the scripture and suggest that they not worry, but to put their trust in God! (I am certainly glad that I work at a Christian University where I can do that!)

I know that you have a great faith and trust God with everything. As Michawn said it is natural for Satan to attack you in that area....the next time remind Satan of that scripture and then tell him to get behind you and leave you alone. Then just sing a praise song! Is there a praise song based on Philippians 4:4-7? If not, there should be!

Love ya,
Mrs. G

AUNY said...

It's funny that you said that, Mrs. Godbey. Our pastor spoke about it using that passage Sunday.