Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Reflecting in Daytona

We had a great time in Florida. We spent most of the time in Orlando and Cocoa Beach. We went over to Daytona in order to watch the Supercross. I dropped Brock off at the speedway early because he had a pit pass. So, I took advantage of the time and drove around to the places where I lived and spent time. A lot has changed in 15 years.

My high school is not there anymore. It's an entirely new building. I went to my old house. It's at the end of a dead end street with my church at the opposite end. I parked down near my house and looked around. Nothing much was different...just new coat of paint. Then, I walked up to the church to look around. As I was walking, I felt a little unsafe by myself. That was so crazy to me, because I'd walked that road thousands of times when I lived there.

It was such a strange time of reflecting. Daytona was so familiar yet so foreign all at the same time. I haven't lived there about half of my life. Those few hours that I drove around, I felt like a stranger in this town. The only people that talked with me were people who were parked next to me at the beach. They were from Murfreesburo, TN just 30 miles down the road from Nashville! However, Daytona Beach will always be the place where I grew up. Those memories of that time are sealed in my mind forever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oohhh, how sweet!!!

Amber said...

As they should be!!! The little town where I was born and went to a few years of Elementary School will always be home to me, even though probably no one there would even know who I am! I know what you mean about feeling like a foreigner in a place you consider home! You just can't erase those memories!!