Sunday, January 27, 2008

Leave Your Nickel on the Toilet

Ecuador is very different than here. They use the same currency as we do except their coins have some different people on them. Brock actually found a coin that was American on one side with an Ecuadorian guy on the other. I don't know how that happened!

They play American music in English in public places only it's normally pop songs from the 80's...lots of Phil Collins and Edie Brekel. It's funny because these Spanish speaking people will come by singing songs in English.

The toilets are the same as they are here only you cannot put toilet paper down the toilet. I guess they don't have good plumbing there. Also, at many of the public bathrooms, you have to pay a nickel for toilet paper.

The mosquitoes are atrocious there! I got several and they puffed up really big. I learned all of this on the first day, so the second day, I was armed with nickels and mosquito repellent.

Here are some pictures from Guayaquil, Ecuador
Photobucket
We walked up all a bunch of stairs to see a great view of the city...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Kay and me in Guayaquil

Photobucket
Iguana Park

Photobucket
They look like little dinosaurs or something!

Photobucket
The Malecon--an area with restaurants and shops along the river

Photobucket
The guy stopped this protest in order for Brock to get this picture.

Photobucket
Then, I ended up in the protest somehow.

Photobucket
The men are much more affectionate in South America.

Photobucket
That's not a hood ornament...

Photobucket
it's a baby! They know how to cram a lot of people in one vehicle.

1 comments:

Haley said...

Okay, that last picture is just alarming! I know they don't know any better, but seriously a baby on the dashboard??? Are you kidding me?! It looks like ya'll had so much fun. I'm so jealous! I've never had lobster before and to eat it on the beach? Heavenly! We miss you guys. ~Haley