Tuesday, January 22, 2008

We're Back!

We got back in the wee hours of the morning yesterday. When we left Ecuador, it was 84 degrees. When we got back, it was 12! That was quite a shock. We are both nursing a sunburn in the middle of winter. My friends said that I looked like I've been faking baking because my tan is so out of place! Hahaha.

In fact, right now, I'm sitting by a crackling fire that Brock built for me this morning. Today is my birthday which means that I can do whatever I want to do. What I want to do is eat pizza (something I only do on my birthday) with friends and go to the Cocoa Tree where we are going to show pictures and tell stories from our trip.

I intend to do the same thing for you over the next few posts. I have so many stories to tell and pictures to show you! We had a remarkable time! This is an overview: The first week, we went on a cruise with Brock's parents. It was 5 nights long and we made two stops. The first stop was Grand Cayman Island, and the second was Key West. These were two places I've never been before, so that was exciting! The cruise left out of Miami. Then, Brock and I flew from Miami to Guayaquil, Ecuador where my sister, Kay, and brother-in-law, Trent, are right now working on some language skills before they go to their permanent location in Bolivia. Guayaquil is the largest city in Ecuador and reminded me of a city in the states...it actually reminded me of Chicago. It was on this great river. The only difference was everyone spoke Spanish, and, well, there were a lot of differences...I'll tell you later. At the last part of the week, we went to the beach which was a two hour drive away. It was a beautiful beach! More to come...

9 comments:

AUNY said...

Last night, we saw Bethany (the chocolatier at the Cocoa Tree) and brought her some chocolate soap and shampoo from Ecuador. Also, we brought 4 different kinds of Ecuadorian chocolates. We all tasted them there in the Cocoa Tree. It was fun!

kelli beth said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! and WELCOME HOME!!!

Michawn said...

Happy Birthday Auny! And, can't wait to hear more and see pictures about your travels.

Anonymous said...

I hope that your day is fabulous!! It sounds like it is off to a great start!

Rhonda

Barbara said...

FELIZ CUMPLEAÑOS!!

Feliz cumpleaños a ti!
Feliz cumpleaños a ti!
Feliz cumpleaños querida Aunyyyyy!!
Feliz cumpleaños a tiii!!

hahaha Happy B-Day! Everything sounds like the chocolate... Delicious hahhaha I can't wait!! i want to know and see all!!

Scott and Lyndsay Crews said...

So what kind of pizza did you eat?

idea: you should get a sponsorship! imagine the commercial: "...When Auny Gill eats pizza, she eats _________________ brand pizza"

It'll sell millions!

Shannon said...

I can't wait to hear all about your trip! Happy Birthday again!

AUNY said...

Hahaha! I ate at Mellow Mushroom. So far, I'm not feeling sick today. Yah!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Thanks for all the great posts and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Teresa