Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Royalty

On the cruise, we were treated like royalty! We were waited on hand and foot. Our meals were 4 course meals with more silverware than was necessary…12 pieces to be exact. Not only do I not know the proper etiquette when it comes to fine dining, but my “clumsiness” is really accentuated. I kept using the wrong silverware, so the waiter would very discreetly bring me the right one and take away the ones I was supposed to use. One night, I did something in which my butter knife went flying over my head and landed on the floor behind me. The guy simply slipped me a new butter knife later. I dropped bread on the floor often. One evening, I spilled food on the white tablecloth staining it in the process. One of the waiters came by and combed up the crumbs left on the table. However, the stain wasn’t removable without some sort of bleach and a washing machine, so the waiter covered the blemish with a white cloth napkin. I really kept those guys running and cleaning up after my messes!

I was introduced to Turkish baths this vacation. A Turkish bath is like a steam room on steroids with aromatherapy smells. There was a Turkish bath on the cruise and at our hotel in Ecuador. When you enter one, it takes some getting used to because the steam is so thick. However, you come out feeling refreshed and relaxed all at the same time. There was what they call a Persian Garden on the boat. It was a quiet area in the spa that consisted of a steam room, Turkish bath, sauna, showers, and heated stone lounge chairs overlooking windows that looked out onto the sea. They played soothing music and to our surprise, most of the time we went there, Brock and I were alone. That was one of the most relaxing things I’ve ever experienced.

In Ecuador, we could get a one hour massage for $22, so we took advantage of that! We also got a seaweed wrap. Since everything was so cheap, we tried all sorts of things. I do NOT recommend a facial in South America, though. I’d never had a facial before, so I decided to try it. Apparently, they do it differently than we do in the U.S. I felt a little uncomfortable the whole time, but when she got out some sort of needle, I stopped her. “No!” translates in every language I guess. Later, my sister told me that botox is often a part of the facials they give in that area. That was a close one!

Photobucket
Our cruise ship...the Celebrity

Photobucket
Our cool waiter, Tangkas

Photobucket
Us at dinner with our table partners, Allan, Penny, their daughter Molly, and her friend, Katie

Photobucket
The Persian Garden

Photobucket
The pool on the ship

Photobucket
Brock's going into a Turkish bath at our hotel in Ecuador

Photobucket
The pool at our hotel in Ecuador

Photobucket
The waterfall at our hotel

4 comments:

Amber said...

Looks like you had a BLAST, I'm jealous! Glad you and Brock had such a GREAT time, you deserved it! Happy Birthday! Check Quatro!

Barbara said...

Very, very beautiful. And fancy. That's nice!

AUNY said...

I'm surprised that nobody commented about the botox!

Matt and Meredith said...

I'll comment on the botox! : ) That's crazy. I've never had a facial and that would freak me out! That's so weird that they do that as part of a normal facial. If I was into that kind of thing I'd think it was cool. I love the pics. Makes me want to go!!!! Glad you got to go and have fun! You guys do so much for God that I am so thankful for.