Thursday, June 30, 2005

Sightseeing in NM

Kristin and I had some time before everyone else arrived here in New Mexico Monday night, so we visited the Carlsbad Caverns. It was really cool. We took an elevator ride 750 feet down. I was just a bit nervous on that ride, because when I glanced out of the window of the elevator, all that I could see was a stone wall passing by in quantum speed. The thought of how we would be rescued if we got stuck crossed my mind. The elevator opened up to a dark cave only lit by the lights placed in strategious spots by the park. Water had formed these massive cone-shaped sculptures. It looked as if millions of icicles lined the ceiling. I wouldn't be surprised if they had iciles down there, because it was cold!

Yesterday, the skate team, bmx team, and our crew went to Roswell, NM home of the UFO crash of 1947. They have a museum and everything. This whole town is based on UFO and alien memorabilia. It was everywhere! The people we "interviewed" in the town believed it. However, they didn't convince me. I did not see one piece of evidence. There were some vague pictures and replicas of aliens. Kristin said that the aliens at Universal Studios looked much better. As we left the town of Roswell, Brock yelled out the window of the van, "The aliens are coming! Please, run for your life!"

2 comments:

Amber said...

I'm glad you guys got a liitle down time to relax and enjoy the sights!

Gin said...

Hey, I've been to Carlsbad Caverns! It was during a family vacation, cerca 1982. I love looking at the pictures from that day...There's one where we're about to embark upon the elevator and I look like I'm going to wet myself. I remember being very nervous.

I'm so glad you got to go!

Gin