Saturday, February 25, 2006

Heart Miles Away

The show was great last night. However, I have to admit that my heart is not here. My heart is hundreds of miles away to a house in central Florida where my whole family is getting ready for a funeral. I cannot be there because I'm here.

I realize that funerals are just a formality, but I wish that I could be there for just a few hours. They are going to play a recording of me and Papa singing a duet. I was about 13 years old. That's cool, because I'll have a little bit of a presence at the funeral.

The good thing is that we are going there in a couple of weeks to spend a few days. It will be especially good to spend some time with my grandma.

3 comments:

Amber said...

That is so neat that you have a recording of you singing with your grandpa to remember him by and that a little part of you will be with your family on this difficult day. I am praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Auny, you know how special Curtis was to all of the Godbey clan and he will be missed. We do know that he is in a much better place. I can just hear him singing in the heavenly choir now! I remember you singing with him and how proud he was of you. I always loved to hear him sing! I love hearing you sing, too.

I was not able to attend my grandfather's funeral either, but I was there is spirit. I paused at the time of the funeral and just spent the time in prayer thanking God for my "Dad" and letting me have him for as long as I did!

I wish that I could be there with your family also, but did not know about it until I read your blog yesterday.

I will keep you, Kaye, Pam, Preston and Virginia in my prayers. Just sing him a song today! I think that he will hear it!

Love Ya,
Doris

AUNY said...

Thanks for the encouragement. He was my mom's stepdad. I did what you said, Mrs. Godbey. Today, Brock was looking at a store here in town. It was cold in the building, so I decided to go and wait for him in the car. Just as I did, I noticed that it was 1pm here and that meant it was 2pm in Florida...the time of the funeral. So, I had my own memorial time for Papa inside a rental car in Oklahoma City.