Friday, March 17, 2006

Day One in Alaska

We're staying in a hotel that has a feel like an apartment. We have a small kitchen area and a bay window with some cushions to sit. Since I've been waking up so early, I sit in that bay window reading my books and watching the sun come up over the snow covered mountains. It's really nice. I don't usually do this, but since we are staying in this same hotel for 6 nights, I placed all of our clothes in drawers. So, I'm sort of pretending that I live here right now. We go out and work everyday, but we have some time off everyday too. For example, yesterday we did a few school assemblies during the day but had the evening off. Today, we have the day off and perform tonight.

Last night, we ate at a place called Humpy's. I had halibut tacos. They were fabulous. Then, we drove to the chocolate factory. They had a large chocolate waterfall. I wanted to drink from the waterfall, but I found out that the chocolate in it was 5 years old!

We did a little shopping. We bought Brock a coat. (I accidently left his in the truck back in Florida.) We also bought a knife called an ulu. They have a handle and a circular shaped blade. The natives invented it for skinning seals or something. My friend that used to live here said they are really good. She and her mom had me buy them one while I was here. Brock was really excited about it. We got the knife, the cutting bowl, and an instructional video to go with it.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have an ulu too that I got when I was in Alaska and the chocolate factory place was pretty fun! I'm glad you guys are having an amazing time! :)