Thursday, March 02, 2006

Luncheon

Brock spoke at a luncheon today in Prattville, AL in order to promote the Freedom Experience that we are doing there in November. It consisted of mostly business people on their lunch break.

When it came to Brock's turn to speak, I wondered what these business people thought of him. He was definately the most casual dressed person in the room. Plus, he looks more like a rockstar. However, I think that he won over the entire crowd by the end.

First, he pointed out the statistics of drug and alcohol use among students:
Grade/percentage of alcohol use/percentage of drug use
6/23.7/8.9
7/37.0/15.0
8/47.3/20.9
9/54.2/25.5
10/58.5/27.9
11/61.4/29.8
12/65.2/31.8
These stats speak for themselves. I was surprised at the percentage of 6th graders that drink and use drugs. Also, the jump between 6th and 7th grade is rather disturbing. We need to catch these students early.

Then, he explained that things have changed even since we were in high school. He said that we went from a microwave generation to a myspace generation (if you don't know what myspace is, you are probably under age 25). He also said that every student is A.D.D. (we probably made them that way by creating high speed internet and such). Brock continued that our message is the same, but our methods must be different in order to reach this generation.

He then shared a story that happened to us a few years ago. I'll post that story tomorrow...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're leaving us hanging, Auny. Can't wait for the story tomorrow. You are right about getting them young. Even at my age now, I remember my decision with clarity for accepting the Lord around 12 years old. I needed help to live my young life, and I received it in Jesus Christ. It frightens me to think what bad choices I would have made had I not been introduced to the Lord early on. Mom

Matt said...

no kiddin, you totally had me on the edge of my seat. can't wait to hear what happened.