Wednesday, April 26, 2006

United 93

Some "leaders of the community" were asked to screen the movie United 93. Brock and I were able to go to the screening last night. It is a movie based on the events of 9/11. It focused on United Airlines Flight 93 that went down in Pennsylvania missing its target of the Capitol. The movie was very well done. It was done in real time. Many of the air traffic control people played themselves. I heard that the pilots and flight attendants were not actors but actual airplane personnel. Also, I saw one of the main actors in an interview the other day and he said that the script was very loose. They stated everything that was accurately known that happened and the order of events. Other than that, the actors just reacted to what was happening instead of having a script showing exactly what was to be said.

However, the movie is very disturbing. I cried and my stomach hurt throughout the film. It definately wasn't an uplifting movie. I almost wish it were not so realistic. I wanted to see the people on Flight 93 portrayed even more as heroes.

I learned some things about 9/11 that I didn't know especially what chaos was happening on the ground in air traffic control and such. People were saying that it's too soon to bring out this movie and I thought that it's been 5 years. If you wait any longer, it might be forgotten. After watching it, I realized that we will never forget and maybe it is too soon. I don't know if I'd recommend it. You relive the most tragic day in America's history and it's not fun.

3 comments:

the hoops said...

i was just talking this movie over with my mom this morning. Crazy. I was telling her how I want to see it, but the previews make me cry so then I am torn. Thanks for the input

Matt said...

i know it's going to be a very hard movie to watch but, i want to watch it anyway. this could really help people who weren't so much affected by 9/11 to see what some of the people involved were experiencing. although it will be gut wrenching for most of us; it could also be enlightening for others.

Amber said...

I agree, I still want to see it too! It's kind of like watching The Passion of the Christ! It's very hard to watch, even now after seeing it four times, but needful as a reminder of how horrific and horrible that day was jesus. I think it's alway's good to remember, even if it's hard!