Sunday, January 08, 2006

D.C.

We had a blast yesterday! We drove to Baltimore and dropped our truck off at a parking area because D.C. is not very "truck friendly" for security reasons. My friend, Rhonda, graciously drove us to the subway which we took into town. By the time we reached D.C. it was 1pm.

When we arrived at the subway, I needed to use the bathroom but could not find any restrooms. The subway ride took around 30 minutes, so I was really ready to go when we got to D.C. I ran into the CVS and asked one of the pharmacists where the restroom was. She replied, "We don't have public restrooms" very curtly. I went to about five places where I received that answer in about the same tone. This couldn't be very good for my bladder. At about the fifth store, I said "Look, I'm about to have an accident right here in your store. Do you know of a place I could go?" She directed me to a place that I had already tried. It was like the Twilight Zone or something. Finally, I found a restaurant that let me use their restroom. Brock and Stephanie were laughing at me as I frantically came out of each store without any relief. ***WARNING***Public restrooms are scarce in D.C.

We went to the American History Smithsonian. It was really interesting. We saw the puffy shirt that Seinfeld wore in the show. We also saw some 9-11 stuff. It all made me feel very patriotic.

On our way somewhere, Brock actually heard someone saying "The lady with the white coat? Okay, I got her in my sight..." When he saw that Brock noticed him, he quickly darted another direction and took off. I wonder who he works for?

We went into the National Archives building. That's where they display the Bill of Rights, the Constitution, and the Declaration of Independence. My great, great...great uncle was in one of the pictures on the wall of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. He didn't actually sign it because he had to go home due to an illness in the family. His last name was Davie and that was my grandmother's maiden name. It was cool to see his picture up there knowing somewhere down the line, we're related!

Brock asked one of the security guards what the "Decoration" of Independence was. One of the onlookers busted out laughing at Brock's question that he had asked with a straight face. The funniest thing was the reply from the security guard...she didn't know what the Declaration of Independence was. She didn't know what she was guarding.

More on D.C. tomorrow...

3 comments:

Amber said...

One of my greatest memories as a kid was going to D.C. with my family! I'm glad you guy's are having such a great time!!!

Mom in Shepherd said...

Andrea, your great...great uncle was one of the framers of the Constitution, not Declaration of Independence. The Declaration of Indep. was first, in 1776, and the Constitution followed in 1787--something like that. I'll tell you on your e-mail where to learn more about him and the Univ. of North Carolina which he established.

AUNY said...

Cool! The Constitution is even better! I also learned that Brock asked the guard what the Constitution was (not the Declaration of Independence) and she did not know what it was...more about that on brockgill.com/blog.