Thursday, January 19, 2006

Meaningful Hang Out Time

When we come home, we hang out with friends as much as we can. After being on the road surrounded by people who may be nice but don't really know us, we enjoy being around people with which we can let our hair down.

Lately, while we are hanging out, I've tried something different. I used to think about ME, ME, and more ME the whole time. After some good advice from my friend, Gin, I decided to think about them. I began praying for whomever we were going to be spending time with on our way to get together. (We live about 20 minutes out of town, so I've got a little time on the ride there.) It's been crazy and exciting! About 80% of the time, they share something with us in which we are able to help them somehow. Also, the Lord has given me specifics to pray for about our friends.

We are definately NOT serious all the time. We get our fun in. However, so many people have stressful lives. We all need encouragement and advice from good friends. Now, I have deeper relationships with my friends which makes it easier to share life together...the good and the bad.

It might be easier for me because I don't have small children or a hectic schedule at home demanding my every minute. However, I bet all of you could find time to sneak in a prayer for your friends before or as you're spending time with them. Try it! You might be surprised at what happens.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good idea. never thought about that

stephanie said...

donny's h'ey birthday was on the 16th. i'm a bad friend and forgot... oh, and he said he's interrested in someone! gah! our little boy is growing up and getting a girlfriend. haha.

AUNY said...

i'll be praying for your in-laws this weekend as well. i like them too.