Saturday, April 14, 2007

Enterprise, Alabama

Yesterday, we visited the school that was hit by the tornado last month killing 8 high school students. It was nothing like I expected. I was stupid enough to think that they might have been rebuilding it, so it wouldn't look so bad. I thought that maybe some of the roof would be off and that would be the extent of it. That place was demolished! They are building another school in a totally different location...just starting over. In the meantime, the students are meeting at the community college for school from 12:30 to 5:00.

When I saw it, I thought, "How did only 8 out of 1,300 students die in this?" In the section where all of the fatalities occurred, there were some survivors. I didn't even see how that was possible! The concrete ceiling had caved in on them. I know that a couple of guys sacrificed their lives by shielding others with their bodies. That's probably the only way the others survived.

One of the ladies who walked around the school with us was a teacher at the school. She showed us where she was sitting and how she felt when she looked up to see that the roof was gone. We should have some pictures up on our myspace sometime early next week.

I had to go straight from looking around the school to setting up our show. We were in a hurry, so I had no time to process everything. I've got to tell you that it was very emotional. My emotions were peaked the whole show last night. It went well, though, and 22 people decided to become followers of Jesus.

2 comments:

Amber said...

That is SO awesome, Auny!!! I'm glad you guys were able to be there to help these people in this desperate time of need! Did you get to spend any time with Biz?

AUNY said...

Yeah. We hung out after the show. I even saw her house. It was fun!