Monday, December 17, 2007

Cooking

My first Christmas at the Gills' house we were talking about food and cooking. We were not even married yet, so I didn't realize how big of a deal food is to Louisianans. That's their culture...FOOD, and they are really good at it!

Anyway, after somebody next to me said something about cooking, I laughingly said that I couldn't cook. Around the large family, everyone had been talking in their own little conversations. When I said that, all conversations stopped and every head turned and stared at me in utter shock. I mean it was like one of those awkward scenes in a movie. I very sheepishly said something like, "But I'm anxious to learn."

As a wedding gift, my mother-in-law put together a cook book for me of all of her recipes. Now, that cook book has all kinds of food stains and torn out pages because I use it so much. I'm not a natural cook. In fact, I usually have a couple of disasters if I'm cooking a lot. However, I can follow recipes like the best of them! Therefore, I'm known around here as being a great cook thanks to that recipe book!

9 comments:

Quatro said...

I know you make a mean Chocolate Chip Cookie!!!

Michawn said...

Oh my gosh. That is hilarious about the Christmas dinner before you were married. It's so true...we take our food SERIOUSLY. That's why it's been such a huge deal for me here in Brasil...man, I miss my normal foods. :-) Love this post. And even though I'm from Louisiana, I am not one of those people that can just throw things together either. I need a recipe. It's amazing what you can do with a recipe though. I made my own sour cream yesterday.

Anonymous said...

michawn i have a recipe for beans and rice if ya want it..


in 1 pot boil water and add rice.
in another pot boil water and add beans. when they are both cooked pile the beans on top of the rice.

its great

Anonymous said...

add hot sauce if you prefer

Michawn said...

funny...i'm actually posting about beans and rice tomorrow. ahh, a love-hate relationship...mostly hate right now though.

about the hot sauce though...they do have tabasco sauce here. cool huh? :-)

Anonymous said...

Cooking is a way of life for us in Georgia. When someone visits us at home the first thing we ask is..."didya eat yet"? Here in GA though its all about the fried chicken! My mama makes a mean fried chicken. If you're ever down this way, I promise to get her to make it for you!

Haley said...

That is hilarious! I think I also made a terrible comment about gift wrapping that weekend, too. I'm sorry about that still, by the way. :) Ryan said he had an experience like yours when he joined the family only it revolved around hunting. All jaws hit the floor when he mentioned he doesn't hunt. Welcome to the family!

Anonymous said...

Ok, Auny. You make it sound like your mama didn't teach you how to cook. I tried, but Auny didn't let her mom teach her anything. She always wanted to be the teacher. Actually, after your disasters in the kitchen (bombs of flour going off unexpectedly) we all decided we were better off when you declined to learn to cook. As for Brock, when he came into the family, he told Auny her family ate like birds. Food is a "family" cultural thing I guess. Mom

AUNY said...

Yeah! Brock still says that we eat like birds...even the whole family (like when we had a fish fry at Aunt Gail's). Our family is rather petite though and has many women in it. His family would have about the same amount of food out as our big extended family would have for Thanksgiving only for just the 4 of us!